A few years ago, I wrote an article for my (now) husband’s birthday! He’d said all he wanted from me was a well-researched article on toxic chemicals in skin care and makeup. See, he was sneaky. He knew I’d learn best by doing my own research, as opposed to taking his (or another person’s) word on this topic.
While researching, I came up with ten chemicals that I found to be the most common and the most hazardous to our health and well-being. Here are those top offenders:
* This is a hormone disruptor (can cause issues with infertility, early onset of puberty, etc.)
This chemical is commonly found in perfume, nail polish, lotion, cream, hair products, and other various perfumed cosmetics.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
* This is an eye and skin irritant and may also be carcinogenic.
* It’s often found in shampoo, soap, and toothpaste, in addition to other personal care products.
* These are toxic carcinogens that may also be related to ADHD.
* These are found in many products all over the board. Look out for FD&C or D&C on the labels, followed by a number.
Chemicals in Sunscreen
* These can be carcinogenic and hormone disrupting.
* Avoid sunscreens that use these chemicals: oxybenzone, avobenzone, ethoxycinnmate, benzophenone, PABA, and homosalate.
* This chemical affects the hormonal systems in the body, particularly the thyroid system.
* This chemical is commonly found in antibacterial soap, toothpaste, and deodorant.
* Lead is a known neurotoxin.
* Lead is oftentimes found in lipstick, foundation, sunscreen, nail polish, and whitening toothpastes.
* Formaldehyde and preservatives that end up releasing formaldehyde when combined with a certain combination of other chemicals (thus relieving the manufacturer from listing formaldehyde as an ingredient) is a toxic carcinogen.
* This chemical can be found in eye shadow, shower gel, nail polish, shampoo, and conditioner.
Propylene Glycol (PEG)
* This has been linked with neurotoxicity and skin irritation.
* Propylene glycol is commonly found in lipstick, lip gloss, and body and facial creams and moisturizers.
* This ingredient is found in almost all personal care products! And it does not have to include the ingredients, as it’s considered to be a trade secret. It includes synthetic chemicals that have been linked with hormone disruption, neurotoxicity, respiratory problems, and allergies!
* Synthetic fragrances can be found in many products, including perfume, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Sadly, this is also in most in baby washes.
* Parabens are hormone disruptors.
* They are found in most makeup, lotion, shaving products, and skin care products.
To read my complete article that goes a little bit more into depth, you can check it out on my husband’s website, HERE.